Advent – Hope
Advent: the expectant arrival of a notable person or thing. It is not an invention of a thing.
Three directions of this arrival
1) Incarnation: word becoming flesh
2) Received in our hearts: to those who have received him, to those he gave the right.
3) Second coming: Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail[fn] on account of him. Even so. Amen. Revelation 1:7
The four greatest gifts of Advent:
HOPE – PEACE – LOVE – JOY
Hope fulfilled in the Incarnation
1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son] from the Father, full of grace and truth.
– every other religion the prophet points to a system of beliefs
Biblical Hope is not wishful thinking but certainty
Hope seen as Light
- Advent is a celebration of light over darkness – Darkness is an absence of hope
- vs 5 The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it
Isaiah 9:2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. Vs 6 unto us a child is born to us, a child is given…
What if I lost everything? The foundational anchor for our souls is the hope of eternity.
Ico 13 faith, hope, love – greatest is love but what is second
– hope enables us to take another step
Psalm 42:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
The backbone of the Christian church is hope
What do we put our hope in determines our joy?
Do we put our home in:
All of these will let us down. Only the hope we put in God will endure for eternity.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Other Sermons In This Series
Advent – Peace
December 05, 2021
Advent – Joy
December 19, 2021
Advent – Love
December 12, 2021