Advent – Hope
Advent: the expectant arrival of a notable person or thing. It is not an invention of a thing.
Three directions of this arrival
1) Incarnation: word becoming flesh
2) Received in our hearts: to those who have received him, to those he gave the right.
3) Second coming: Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail[fn] on account of him. Even so. Amen. Revelation 1:7
The four greatest gifts of Advent:
HOPE – PEACE – LOVE – JOY
Hope fulfilled in the Incarnation
1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son] from the Father, full of grace and truth.
– every other religion the prophet points to a system of beliefs
Biblical Hope is not wishful thinking but certainty
Hope seen as Light
- Advent is a celebration of light over darkness – Darkness is an absence of hope
- vs 5 The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it
Isaiah 9:2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. Vs 6 unto us a child is born to us, a child is given…
What if I lost everything? The foundational anchor for our souls is the hope of eternity.
Ico 13 faith, hope, love – greatest is love but what is second
– hope enables us to take another step
Psalm 42:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
The backbone of the Christian church is hope
What do we put our hope in determines our joy?
Do we put our home in:
All of these will let us down. Only the hope we put in God will endure for eternity.
Other Sermons In This Series
December 12, 2021
December 05, 2021
December 19, 2021